One of the ways to do this is to ensure that the washer’s door is properly locked before starting a spin cycle. But what happens when the washer locks and cannot open? This is a common issue with most Frigidaire washers.
Fortunately, it is something that should not worry you much. It is an easy problem to fix. Expect it more with front loader washers too, especially when switched off. I’ll be exploring some of the scenarios when the washer door locking can be a big deal.
Sometimes the solution may be as easy as simply switching the washer off, waiting for at least 3 to 5 seconds and the door will unlock safely. However, it can get more complex than this which is why you ought to understand everything about this situation.
Solutions will vary and may include resetting the washing machine, disabling the child lock, tightening the drain hose, and fixing the door lif switch and the washer timer. What option applies depends on the diagnosis of the problem, hence more reason to understand the issue first.
Why is My Frigidaire Washer Locked?
It is possible that your Frigidaire washer is locked and will not open after a spin cycle because it has a technical glitch.
This happens when programming or the board is affected by a bug. In such a case, it is best to reset the machine. However, before proceeding with any fix, especially those that involve opening up the Frigidaire washer, note that this can void the warranty.
If you still intend to pursue the warranty, then the best move is to call the Fridgare support team to check out the issue and rectify it as per the warranty guidelines. However, if you need to fix the washer urgently, then you may have to work on your own.
Fix – Reset your Frigidaire Washing Machine
1. Start by unplugging the washer from the power source. This is a safety precaution that protects the machine and you. It also guarantees that the reset process will be done and completed correctly. Wait for a few minutes after unplugging the washer before moving on to the next steps.
2. Wait for some minutes for the residual electricity to dissipate more effectively. This allows for the reset process to commence uninterrupted. This is a great time to confirm the tool you will need to use. Check the user manual for the specific model of washer you are dealing with. Also, inspect the washer for general damage such as leaks and wear.
3. Plug the washer back into the power source. This not only restores power back to the washer but also kicks off the reset process. Just be sure that the plug is clean and debris-free. Plug back the washer and make sure it is not wobbly.
4. Choose the reset option you want for this next step. Most of these washers come with a reset option that allows you to restore default settings. However, it all depends on the model.
Your machine’s control panel may feature a few buttons you can use to factory reset the machine. Find out where the reset button on your machine is before pressing on it. You are likely to find it on the control panel or close to it. Press the button for a few seconds.
You should realize that the reset option differs from one machine to the next. You may need to consult the owner’s user manual for specific instructions on how to select the right reset option. You will notice that the control panel will beep and also display on the screen to signify that the rest is ongoing. After selecting your preferred reset option, proceed to the next step.
5. Begin the reset process. This will initiate a restoration of the default setting and also help to fix some of the minor malfunctions. Press the start/reset button to initiate a reset sequence and wait to hear the beep and display on the control panel.
Make sure the power is not interrupted during the reset process. The process is also completed when you hear a beep and something displays on the control panel.
6. Complete the rest process. Watch out for a notification on the control panel or a beep that signifies the process has been completed successfully. This is the time you test the washer to see if the lock issue has been fixed. Also, pay attention to any other challenges that your machine might present besides the lock.
2. Child Lock is Activated
The child lock setting is a safety feature that protects your kids and little ones from entering or accidentally setting the washer. However, while the child lock is meant for good, it can be a menace if it happens to activate when you don’t intend it to. In fact, it is a common problem when it happens during a spin.
There is no way the door lock of your washer will open when the childlock mode is active. Fortunately, you can always rectify this error by removing the child lock. Most new models of washers come with this safety feature to ease the stress of parents.
The good news is that even if the setting goes on accidentally, you can always identify it in good time. It will display on the control panel making it easy for you to fix right away.
Fix – Disable child lock
- Start by pressing and holding the “Control Lock” button. Do this for at least five seconds. This will lock the dryer. You need to release the button immediately the dryer beeps, as this indicaties that the dryerhas been locked.
- Next step is to press and hold the “Control Lock” button for not less than five seconds to help release the lock.
- You then need to press and hold the “Options” and “Select” buttons. Do this simultaneously on the Frigidaire dryer models that don’t come with a “Control Lock” button. Hold the buttons for 10 seconds until “LOC” is displayed.
- Finally, press and hold the “Options” as well as the “Select” buttons at the same time. Keep holding for at least 10 seconds. If done right, this will release the door lock.
3. Loose Drain Hose
The drain hose on the washer pumps out the water from your washer. Note that the washer will fail to open if the water in the machine does not drain out after the spin cycle. This is a safety precaution that ensures the machine is not a danger to you.
If any of the first two solutions are not the reason for your washer door not opening, then you should consider draining the hose. It is possible that the drain is loose or damaged.
Fix – Inspect and Tighten Drain Hose
- First, disconnect the frigidaire washer from the power source
- Next, access the drain hose and confirm that it is properly tightened
- Also, check for obstructions and clogs
4. Problematic Door Latch Switch
Each frigidaire washer door latch switch should prevent the washer’s door from opening when in the spin cycle. In case it malfunctions during the cycle then the door will lock automatically and stay locked as a safety measure.
Fix – Repair/ Replace the Door Latch
- Find the door latch located under the control board. However, if the washer is still under warranty, be sure not to handle the repairs yourself. Instead, call customer support to inspect and fix the washer themselves.
- It is also better to work with a professional to fix this than attempting to do it yourself. If you intend to still fix the door latch yourself then take a lot of caution
4. Malfunctioning Door Lid Switch
The switch is another safety feature that comes with this type of washer. In case something goes wrong, the switch will initiate an immediate lock to prevent the water from spilling outwards. In case you realize that this could be the problem, then take immediate action.
Fix – Call for Professional Help
- In such a case, it is not always advisable to handle this error alone.
- Contact customer support for more direction and advice on what to do
5. Faulty Washer Timer
Each wash cycle takes a specific amount of time to complete. This is only possible because of the time that allows you to set the duration a wash or rinse will take.
Unfortunately, like every other mechanical thing, these timers wear out over time. This is a normal and expected outcome as the washer gets old. If you realize that the timer is faulty or probably displaced then you should have it replaced.
Fix – Replace the Washer Timer
- The washer’s timer is one of those elements or components in the machine that has to be replaced over time. Normal wear and tear take a toll on this part of your washer hence regular check is recommended.
- However, for the replacement of any parts, it is best to have the professionals handle this. This is even more important if the washer is still under warranty.
Regardless of the reason why your Frigidaire washer malfunctions and locks, it is important that you understand how to diagnose the problem. Correct troubleshooting makes things better. In the end, though, it is best to call a professional to help with some of the complex and more delicate concerns.